If it’s good enough for David Bowie….
Thanks to the likes of David Bowie, who pre-arranged a Direct Cremation funeral for himself, it has gained lots of attention in the press recently but what exactly is it?
David Bowie had a Direct Cremation
A direct cremation is simply a cremation without an attended service for mourners. The body goes straight to the crematorium to be cremated usually in a very simple, plain coffin and after the cremation, the remains are returned to the loved ones to be kept or scattered according to their wishes.
It is very different from a traditional funeral and some may feel that it is not right for them or their loved ones, however, more and more people are choosing unattended cremations as an alternative to traditional funerals because:
- It provides the no frills, no fuss send off they always wanted
- It allows loved ones to organise their own private send-off away from the crematorium at a time to suit their family and friends
- They are final surviving members of their family or friends and want peace of mind everything is taken care of
- They feel a traditional funeral can be sombre and depressing
- The lower cost means their family could be left more
- They simply don’t like funerals
If you need immediate assistance for someone who has recently passed, please call our 24hr care line for support and guidance.
How much does a direct cremation cost?
Our Direct cremation funeral package at only £899 is an affordable solution for those who are on a budget or simply do not wish for all the pomp and fuss of limousines and hearses but wish to maintain the highest level of dignity and care for the deceased. The reason the cost is so low is primarily down to the following:
- Crematoriums charge less for a cremation without an attended service
- The body is usually cremated in a simple container, rather than an expensive casket
- There is no need for chauffeur driven hearse or limousines
- There is not usually viewing, visitation, or wake before the cremation, which eliminates the need for embalming or other body preparations
Let Your Loved Ones Know Your Wishes
We understand that talking about your own funeral can be a difficult subject to bring up with your close family so pre-arranging your funeral in advance can be a wonderful way to let your family know exactly what you wanted, as well as eliminating the financial burden on them in their time of need.
We offer the lowest cost fully guaranteed funeral plans anywhere in Scotland so if this is something you are considering, let your family know your wishes by taking out a plan with Fosters.
For those who are considering a send off like Bowie, they can purchase a Direct Cremation pre-paid funeral plan for only £1298, which includes the cost of setting up the plan and keeping your money safe for the time of need.
Call 0800 121 8095 to speak to one of our funeral planning consultants or use our direct cremation plan enquiry form.